Using the Preview function allows you to examine all document uploads within DocSend prior to sharing with visitors. This not only helps ensure that your documents display as intended, but can also help you identify when small adjustments need to be made.
Note: Download-only content is not previewable; these files can only be viewed when downloaded.
- Preview a Document
- Preview the Visitor Experience
- Track Previews
- Things to Consider
Preview a Document
To preview your content from the document page, follow the steps below:
- Select a document from the content library.
- From the document page, click the preview icon (eye).
- An internal document viewer will pop up. This will display what your document looks like to a visitor.
Preview the Visitor Experience
To test the visitor experience, simply copy your link and paste it into a new tab while logged into your DocSend account. This will open the document as experienced by your visitors.
Note: DocSend will recognize when you visit your own created links, and because DocSend recognizes you as the link creator, you will automatically bypass link security settings when previewing.
To avoid skewing visitor data, preview visits to your own links are not tracked as document views by default. However, you can track your own activity to links you've created when your account has the "Track previews" setting enabled.
Preview visits are differentiated by the [Preview]* tag when Track previews are enabled and you’ll see that they are visible under a document’s "Recent Activity" tab.
Note: Preview visits cannot be retroactively captured.
Configure Track Previews
Account Owners and Admins can enable preview tracking by following the steps below:
- Navigate to your Company Settings page.
- Under "General," enable Track user's visits to their own links (including Space links) by clicking the checkbox.
- Click Save Changes to update your settings.
Things to Consider
- Visitors cannot bypass your link settings. Only the creator of the link can bypass the link settings when in preview mode.
- Visitors will not see the preview button. You can test the full visitor experience by visiting the link from an incognito or private browsing window. However, this visit will not be recognized as a preview visit.
- Preview visits are not reflected on the DocSend Dashboard at this time. Preview visits associated with links you've created are only visible under the "Recent Activity" tab on your DocSend document page.
- On Standard and Advanced plans, account Owners and Admins can see all preview visits of documents housed in Team Folders.
- Visiting your own created link in an incognito/private browser or after you cleared cache and cookies will track your visits as a unique visit which will be included in your document stats. To maintain accurate visitor data, we recommend only previewing documents in the document viewer when logged into your account.
Still need help? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org!