Spreadsheets can be previewed in the DocSend document viewer without link recipients having to download them first. This provides a more secure way to share your sensitive data that lives in spreadsheets.
Note: Spreadsheets must be 40 MB or smaller to preview them in the DocSend document viewer. However, there is no row, column, or sheet limit.
- Spreadsheets can be uploaded from local devices and cloud storage providers, similar to other file types you upload and send via DocSend.
- Supported formats include Excel (.xls, .xlxs, .xlsm), Google Sheets (.gsheet), Open Document Spreadsheets (.ods), and .csv.
File size support and availability:
- If the file size is smaller than 40 MB, it will be available in the viewer.
- Spreadsheets over 40 MB
Preview and functionality:
- The preview functionality mirrors the experience provided by the Dropbox viewer for spreadsheets, supporting all features available in Microsoft Excel 2016.
- Only the end cell values are displayed, and the viewing of formulas is not supported.
- Multiple sheets within a spreadsheet are supported, and users can navigate between them using tabs at the bottom of the viewer.
- The "allow downloading" option for spreadsheets is unchecked by default in the create link section.
- Note: Watermarking is currently unavailable for spreadsheets.
- Spreadsheets are treated as paginated documents, where each sheet represents a page.
- Instead of page numbers, sheet names are used and displayed to track viewer behavior by sheet.
- Cell-level analytics are not available, which means specific user interactions with individual cells cannot be tracked.
40 MB viewable file size:
- Spreadsheets larger than 40 MB cannot be displayed and will be download-only.
- Once processed, documents can’t change from download-only to downloadable and vice versa. Examples:
- If you have a 50 MB sheet in DocSend, then update the document with a 10 MB sheet, it will remain download-only.
- If you have a 10 MB sheet and update it with a 50 MB sheet, it will generate an error.
2 GB upload limit:
- Spreadsheets over 2 GB cannot be uploaded, which aligns with the limit for other paginated document types.
Viewer limited to MS Excel 2016 features:
- The viewer supports features available up to Microsoft Excel 2016. Features introduced after 2016 may not appear in the viewer or may cause errors when loaded.
- This limitation is consistent with Dropbox's spreadsheet support.
- Watermarking is not available for spreadsheets.
Viewer limitation for certain fields:
- Some fields may not be visible in the viewer and will display as ######.
- To ensure visibility, you’ll need to adjust column sizes in the file before uploading.