Users have the option to add custom watermarks to documents when creating links, providing greater control and security over sensitive content. Only document PDFs, Keynotes, Powerpoint presentations, and Word documents can be watermarked. In this article, we'll cover how to set up watermarking.
Setting Up Watermarks
A unique watermark can be configured separately for each link allowing users to share the same document with a specific watermark for each set of visitors. Users can type in any static text they would like to be shown in the watermark, e.g Confidential.
Alternatively, users can select any combination of the elements captured as a part of the visit process to dynamically prefill the watermark. Such as,
- Email address - Selecting this option will require the visitor to provide their email address
- IP address
- Account name (see link settings explained)
- Date (in UTC)
- Time (in UTC)
Note: Users can repeat the dynamic elements and can also include static text as well.
Customizing & Previewing Watermarks
Users can further customize and can configure any of the following elements in the watermark:
- Text - Users can input both static text and dynamic elements for the text field
- Tiled - The text can be repeated within the document link
- Position - Position the watermark within the document link
- Rotation - Orient the watermark within the document link
- Font Hex color # - A unique font color can be used for the watermark
- Transparency - The watermark can be made more transparent within the document link
As the user customizes the watermark, a preview of the watermark with the configured settings be made available to review prior to creating the link.
Watermark Content options
Users can choose to change the default watermark settings in the company’s content options page for links and Spaces. Moving forward, new links with watermarking enabled will have the content option settings applied unless manually changed (see Customizing and previewing watermarks).
Updating Watermark Settings
Watermark settings, like other link options, can be updated after a link is created. Check out our help center article on Updating link settings for more details.
Users can choose to watermark all documents when creating the Space. Much like watermarking documents, Space watermark settings can be configured separately and can have dynamic elements as each visitor views the content with the Space (see Dynamic watermarking).
Watermarked documents within a Space:
Troubleshooting Watermark Issues
Watermarking a document can occasionally fail. In those instances, both users and visitors will not be able to view and access the watermarked document. DocSend will show an error message in the link and Spaces rows that watermarking has failed.Note: Files that are encrypted may fail watermarking during creation. To resolve the issue:
- Re-upload a non-encrypted file.
- Wait a few minutes for the link to be watermarked.
- Preview the file and make sure that your document is watermarked to your liking.
If you continue to experience any issues, contact us at email@example.com